Waste disposal has been the problem of humanity since the first the first settlement in the world. Along with the industrial revolution technology has developed gradually and in the meantime, waste production has increased rigorously. Technology, heavy industry and production got ahead, so as the waste production. Due to these developments in the industry, waste disposal became the common problem of humanity.
World population is expected to reach 7,5 billion by the end of 2016. The urban people now constitute 78% of total population in Turkey according to a research (2012). This rate is 54% in the whole world and according to UN’s predictions, it will rise to 66% in 2050.
Arbitrary and unplanned urbanisation can cause public spaces’ and natural resources’ impairment, air and water pollution and excessive waste production.
Rapid population growth, industrial developments and urbanisation brought the “waste” problem within themselves. Due to this problem, waste management system (collection, transportation and disposal of waste) in big cities cannot process seamlessly, it needs extra effort to keep our environment clean
Did you know?
According to a research made in 2014, 28 million kgs of municipal waste was produced in Turkey.(TÜİK)
According to a research made in 2014, a single person produces 390,55 kgs of waste annualy, which equals to 1,08 kg of waste production daily. – (TÜİK)
Istanbul alone produces 16,6 tons of waste daily, which equals to 6 million tons of waste production annualy.( TÜİK)
53% of municipal waste produced in Turkey is organic based, 17% of it is plastic, 13% of it is paper, 6% of it is glass and the other 4% of it is textile based. (İSTAÇ)
In the world:
Every year, approximately 300 million tons of paper is used.( Naturalgreenway.com )
42% of global tree harvest is used to make paper. ( Terracycle )
If all of the trees in the world were cut, we’d have only 45 minutes left to live. (TC Milli Eğitim Bakanlığı)
25% of water pollution is caused by waste oil. – (Çevre ve Şehircilik Bakanlığı)
Every year 1 trillion of plastic bags are used. It equals to almost 1 million plastic bags every minute. ( Terracycle )
1 liter of waste oil can contaminate 1 million liters of water- (Çevre ve Şehircilik Bakanlığı)
A nickel cadmium battery can contaminate up to 600.000 liters of water – (Çevre ve Şehircilik Bakanlığı)
Every year 8 million tons of waste end up in our oceans – (Science Magazine)
Glass and metal products can be recycled forever.(Çevre ve Şehircilik Bakanlığı)
HUMAN is the only producer of waste
- Firstly, if we produce waste, we should dispose of it properly.
- Secondly, in order to produce less waste, we should reconsider our consumption habits. For that:
- We should prefer reusable products with less packaging.
- We should prefer products that are recyclable, recycled or reusable. For instance; avoid throwing away non-used plastic, metal or glass materials, give them new purposes by reusing them and we will save our environment.
- We should know that peels of vegetables and fruits, garden waste and every other organic waste can be composted. Learn how.
- We should share the stuff we don’t use. (books, clothes, electronics etc.)
- We should go digital! We don’t need to have printed bills. We should ask our companies to send the bills via e-mail
- We should shop only if we need to, not when we want to.
- We should carry our own reusable products to keep our health&environment clean. Reusable bottles and reusable bags for instance.
- Use gamification in the family! We should challenge our family members to produce less waste and recycle more.